Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Minx – Sally

My turn (gulp). I’m very happy to be a Minx. Before I was a Minx, I was writing on my own, not telling anyone I was a writer as I churned out my first couple of novels. Four or five years ago, I decided to get serious about my writing, and at that point everything changed for me. First I acknowledged that I was a writer. Told people that I wrote, claimed it. I went on a number of writing courses, and met other like minded people and learned a lot. I write Romance and also crime, and decided to target Mills and Boon.
I’d written my first ‘M&B novel’ before I attended a full day ‘writing a Mills and Boon’ writing course given by Inkwell Writers in Dublin. It was a great day, given by Abby Green and Trish Wylie, with Jenny Hutton, Mills and Boon editor in attendance. I learnt a lot that day, and it really helped focus my writing.

A while later, Trish was writing a ‘not at nationals’ post on her blog, and contacted me, asking me to either contribute to her blog for a ‘newbie’s view’ or to start my own blog, which she’d link to. I chose the latter option, and made the jump into the blogosphere.

I met various of the minxes this way. Admired their humour and mastery with words. Found great friendship and validation of my writing journey through it. And after the last Mills and Boon competition, while nursing my rejection letter, decided to take something positive from it, and the Minxes were born.

As a writer, I’m never finished learning. There’s always something new. I’d had critique partners before, and found it so valuable to analyse someone else’s work, and so helpful when someone looked over my own that I was eager for the experience and opportunity that the Minxes provide. What I hadn’t expected is the sheer joy of being a Minx. We pick each other up when we’re down. Give each other kicks up the pants when we need it, get together on Skype to brainstorm plots and thrash out character flaws. Its great. Now, with our blog, we’re meeting other writers and editors and growing as writers. And having fun, because at the end of the day, being happy is what it’s all about!

10 comments:

penandpaints said...

Hi Sally
Your first paragraph sounded just like how I used to be, writing was a bit of a secret! It's a big step to describe yourself as a writer, I was always afraid of the question,
"Oh, what have you had published?" Then the inevitable sympathetic roll of the eyes when you say, "Err, nothing yet."
I'm also really glad I started blogging, I've met so many great people who really give me encouragment, I wish I'd done it sooner!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Ditto to everything penandpaints just said. Only my family knew I wrote until I had a piece published in My Weekly and someone at work scanned it into the system and sent it to 'everyone'. I'm sure most of them thought I was a little nuts to spend so much time writing in a shed. They're probably not that wrong really :)

Lorraine said...

Hi Sally, great post. Being able to talk to like-minded (meaning writing obsessed!) individuals is wonderful, we have a lot to thank the internet for.
I'm glad you're a Minx too :-)

Maya Blake said...

Yes indeed, Sally Minx, being happy and having fun is very much what it's all about. And I love that, even though we've been together such a short time, we feel as if we've known each other for years! We're lucky to have you as a Minx :)

Sally Clements said...

Hi everyone, thanks for the lovely comments! :) I'm having problems with yahoo groups today, it lets me read (sometimes) but chucks me out if I try to post. Grrr.

Jackie Ashenden said...

Glad you're having fun, Sally! That's very important eh?

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Terrific post, Sally. You're so right, the support is invaluable.

XX

Tara Pammi said...

Nice meeting you, minx Sally. :-)

And a fabulous post.

Sally Clements said...

Jackie, without fun, its just work :), I'm so glad to be doing something I enjoy! Hi Suz, Hi Sri, thanks for the nice words!

Suzanne Brandyn Author said...

Hi Sally,
Invaluable support and advice lie within another writers. It's good to see you circulating. :)